Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Review: The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joël Dicker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I recently picked up this book again after stopping it in the past.

I managed to finish the book in a few days (yippee!). Anyway, after reading the front part of the book for a second time, the book seems more interesting than when I read it before.

Overall, the book manages to captivate me as I try to find out what happened to Nola, the fifteen year old girl who went missing and is eventually found dead. That was basically the sole source of motivation for me as I read through all 600+ pages of the book.

The writing style of the book is simple enough, but I did feel that some parts were draggy and could have been cut short. 600+ pages did seem a little long.

Ultimately, when the mystery was finally revealed, it didn't seem as 'wow' as I thought it would be. I'm not sure, maybe it was because I thought Harry would turn out to be more of a dangerous character than I thought he would be.

The little short snippets about past conversations between Harry and Marcus at the beginning of each chapter were really good though. I guess they were good because they were kept short, again emphasising my point about how some parts of the book were long-winded, especially the front (explaining why I gave up on the book the first time I tried reading it).

Overall, it's an interesting enough read if you managed to get past the first 5 chapters of long-windedness. Lots of red herrings thrown which would definitely make you want to read til the end to solve the mystery.

View all my reviews

No comments: