Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Exam Stress

I think I am actually feeling really stressed, just that I do not show it.

Apparently, I was SCRATCHING THE WOOD PLANK OF MY BED IN MY SLEEP. Witness = my brother who woke up in the middle of the night because of that. I am guessing that is A SIGN OF STRESS. Either that, or I was writing out my LA essay in my dream, which is hardly any better.

My parents have also told me that I used to grind my teeth while sleeping during examination periods. Hmm. It is proven that grinding your teeth while sleeping is either due to the fact that 1) there is something wrong with the alignment of your teeth, or 2) one feels stress or anxiety.

WHAT IF... the scratching sounds were actually the sound of my teeth grinding??? That is scary - the sound that my teeth makes can actually be so LOUD. I worry for my teeth.

Exam stress is such a problematic issue. Thinking too much about it brings more stress too, ironically. I think this problem of stress is much worse in Singapore too. Students in countries such as Norway are less 'competitive' in a sense - everyone is provided with the same opportunities (they do not have streaming), which makes the students less worried about their results, since it would not affect the number of their window of opportunities. On the other hand, marks are everything in Singapore. A C is acceptable in Norway, while an A is the norm in Singapore. Too much emphasis is based on exams, which are mostly based on rote learning as well (I am totally against the idea of rote learning).
I admit that it is hard to suggest an alternative to exams as a fair mean of grading the students. However, this issue will definitely affect the mental health of students (AKA ME.) 

I always prefer this: Concepts over Memorisation.
Understanding the concept is more important than memorising of facts for me, which is why I prefer Physics over Chemistry. Chemistry is, admit it, based mostly on memorisation. Physics is all about the concepts. Understand and apply it - this is also a much easier way to study :D

Anyway, just finished my LA paper 1 today. The questions were obviously out-of-this-world. (Quite excited to get back the papers and see the comments HEE) My plan today is to basically slack and reward myself for all that hard work for LA hahaha. I shall work on History tomorrow :) 

History is another headache for me. And literature. THESE ARE ALL THE HUMANITIES SUBJECTS. How ironic that I am a double-science student! (Anyway, the plan to scrap some humanities subject from the syllabus is silly and SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED. HOW CAN YOU SCRAP HISTORY???!! NONSENSE. History is such an essential part of life, much more so than chemistry/biology/physics -.-) 

Already looking forward to the end of EOYs and HCL O-level.

Plans to do after EOYs:
Go to Korea (if possible)
USS with 4K girls
Watch Taken 2 and all the other awesome movies
SLACK
Read books!!!! (MUST-DO)
Read manga
Listen to more music
Blog more (if I actually have stuff to blog about)
Go to cousin's house and bake/cook

:D

No comments: