Wednesday, February 4, 2015

I want to be with people my age

After starting work, being constantly surrounded by people older than me, I am starting to feel a little lonely and out of place.

I remember once reading an article that talked about why teenagers of this generation are narcissistic and other horrible adjectives. It said something along the lines of, how can one expect a teen who constantly surrounds oneself with people of his/her own age to mature without listening to viewpoints from adults? I remember myself nodding my head in slight agreement when reading that particular comment.

And yet now, I dearly miss the companionship of people my age who, according to the author, probably talk about stupid/ irrelevant things.

I think that it is hard not to feel out of place with adults surrounding a young person. There is just something about the age difference that makes it inherently difficult to relate on certain issues. I mean, the 10s and the 20s have A LOT of difference, even when I am 19, just one year shy from 20.

People in their teens: Studying, probably obsessing over music/ fashion/ idols
People in their 20s: Start dating (seriously), working (permanently), finding a house, having kids (?!)

While the author is probably right in talking about how I would probably mature more from talking to adults, I would like to confine that interaction to a certain time period, kind of like how I get a sneak peek into the adult world without fully plunging myself into it (that can wait till I am in my mid-20s).

At the end of the day, my main point is: I WANNA HANG OUT WITH FRIENDS MY AGE AND NOT HAVE TO CARE ABOUT WHAT I TALK ABOUT.

And..... I am going to do just that! I've got a dinner date with Huiyi, Dion and Shermaine tomorrow night. Can't wait to start acting all teenager-ish.

No comments: