Monday, December 10, 2012

Work experience

So after my chalets, I went to work.

I worked at Metro City Square Mall from 12pm to 9pm, hence explaining my lack of blog posts (which is due to my laziness as well I admit).

The first day of work was HORRIBLE. It was a Saturday. I showed up in black pant, covered dark blue shoes and a black tee with prints. Turns out I needed an all black attire, with no prints, no nothing. Haiz. So I went to buy 2 black shirts, of which one was bought for me for free because apparently this problem did not just occur once, so it was kinda a punishment for the person ic.

I was a promoter for toys - the company I shall not mention. Anyway, there were so many kids!!! My job was to let the kids play the toys, hope that they don't break them, and hopefully, get their parents to buy the toys.

So this is the thing: KIDS ARE MONSTERS. Well, some are.

Some of them would snatch for the toys!!! Very annoying. Some would not follow instructions, and do things which would probably accelerate the process towards which my samples would get spoilt. Very irritating. Some would get excited and start shouting. Very noisy.

Because of my location, weekdays were boring while weekends were terrible. There were too little people during weekdays, and too many during weekends. The difference in contrast is too huge!!!

But then again, some kids are actually pretty decent and cute. These situations usually happen when there is only one or two kids around the table. It gets easier to control them too. Some kids are adorable too :) Their huge eyes and small statute. Hahahah. Sounding like a pedo here.

So, when I first started working there, I was lost. When customers asked me stuff, I didn't know how to reply. I would then just rush off to find an associate; when I can't find one, I panic. Somehow, it seemed really important to fulfill the needs of the customers once I was put into my job. It was part of my job, and yet it wasn't at the same time. I was just a promoter, but since I was working at Metro, I needed to follow the basic code of conduct in Metro since I was 'representing' them as well.

Another sad fact of my work was I wasn't close to anyone. I was all alone. So lunches (if taken outside) and dinners were by myself. I did enjoy the loneliness sometimes though, after being surrounded by so many kids especially.

Another part of the job which I hate was the fact that we had to stand the whole day!!! Just standing, and in my case, waiting for people to come along. There was this day when I felt abit tired and sick. That whole day was torturous because I had to stand even though I just felt like collapsing and sleeping. The thought 'I wanna go home' kept ringing in my head.

AND, I HAD TO WORK ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS. WHAT A BUMMER.

I did gain experience though. I finally knew what it was like being a promoter. If ever I work as a promoter again, I want to promote products for adults. At least they behave more civilised at times than kids. Haha.

I also did packing and stocking of items, which was very tired. It is pretty amazing because now I know how do products actually get into the shelves. Oh, and we had to stick the price tags on by ourselves, which is surprising because I always thought they went though some machine which would stick them on, LOL.

I learned how to deal with customers a little better. And I learnt that it's important to pick things up fast. Like for example, when a customer wants to open the shelf for some Tomica cars, I used to find and ask my colleagues to open it. If I can't find the colleague, it would be quite bad because the customer has to wait for me to find him/her, then wait for him/her to open it. In the end, I found out where to find the keys, and just opened the lock on the shelf by myself, which is way easier and better because it's faster, and I don't worry about not being able to find someone else to do it. Relying on oneself is always better.

I also realised that eating by myself is not such a scary thing. Partially because city square mall had way less people. But still, eating alone always seemed terrifying to me. Somehow, we all get the image that it screams 'loner'. But when I was forced to eat along, it started being okay and normal for me.

Yep, yesterday was kind of my 'last' day of work. Zixin came to visit me, and we ate dinner together :) A break from eating alone! I would be officially working my last days of work on the 17th and 18th (which are weekdays phew!!).

As of now, I shall not be working anymore. I have quite a lot I wanna do. I need to watch Breaking Dawn and buy my Christmas gift! :DD Korean dramas toooo!! Alice in Cheongdam-dong is GOOODDDDD. Go watch it! Shall go out for dinners with people more often. I went out for dinner with Huiyi and Dion on my off day. We initially planned to watch a movie, but there were no more seats/ good timing. So we resorted to just eating HAHAH.

The next time I look for work, it must be either with friends, or be an admin/office hours job. Tuition's not bad too hahhaha!

No comments: