Sunday, March 25, 2012

Delirium... Pandemonium


Do you still remember when I talked about the book "Delirium"?
It is actually part of a trilogy and Pandemonium is the sequel to Delirium.

The whole story focuses on a girl called Lena who is in this world where love is considered a disease. At the age of 16, everyone has to take a injection (or vaccination) that will turn them into loveless being, devoid of sympathy or feeling. The government controls everyone, including who they marry. 

Delirium was really good. The concept of the whole story was good - a world without love. Man without passion. I was really interested in the idea of it and bought the book. The book is captivating - I remember finishing it in one sitting :) However, the only thing that I really did not like were the instances of romance. Somehow, it did not seem to fit in because of the fact that this was supposed to be world without love. There are hardly any moments of intimacy except towards the end. The book really did a good job of building such a scenario without love.

Now, onto Pandemonium. I was really hesitant about buying Pandemonium because there have been sequels that fail, terribly. (The cover looked really good though.) And the words were in a slightly larger print - which I don't like. I like books with small print, somehow it gives them its authentic feeling. However, I still bought it in the end and I finished it in one day :) 

The book was fairly good, although it is not as good as Delirium. I'll give it a 4/5 for the fact that it's a sequel. The language was somewhat lacking in comparison to Delirium. However, it still makes for a pretty good read. Delirium was more about Lena gaining exposure and new insights about the world she lives in - the hard truth VS the lies. Pandemonium was more action packed with Lena getting physically stronger, and smarter. 
*Spoiler - Alex is PRESUMABLY dead, and Lena is slowly getting over his death. Then, she has to keep track of this guy called Julian who is a representative of a Youth organisation against the love disease. You can guess what happens. 

The ending of Pandemonium is perhaps the most upsetting and disappointing part. I was really hoping that this series would be able to avoid the usual cliches (meaning, love triangles -.-). Anyway, Julian and Lena makes an an unusual combination. Alex would be wayyy better because he did what Julian never did - he sacrificed himself for Lena.

I was also hoping that rather than exploring the love as love, Lauren Oliver would explore the love of friendship. Tackle where most teenage fiction writers miss or ignore, instead of going for the cliches of love between the opposite sex. It would be really good to bring back Hana and see what happens  - did she really take the cure? Would she still see Lena as a friend? 

Okay, so mainly what I want is: MAKE THINGS MORE DISASTROUS FOR LENA RATHER THAN GETTING HER INTO A LOVE TRIANGLE. 
Make her feel the dire consequences of a world without love! It would be REALLY good if she goes find Hana and Hana doesn't recognise her. MAKE LENA DEVASTATED. Make her desperate. Of course, it would be best if Lena finally manages to get Hana to feel love (friendship kind) for her again! That would really get readers to treasure the existence of love. RATHER THAN GETTING LENA INTO A LOVE TRIANGLE - REALLY, HOW CAN IT ACTUALLY COME TO SUCH A POINT. I am really disappointed!!! I really expected better for this series.
Especially since it had SUCH A WONDERFUL CONCEPT TO PLAY WITH.

And another thing: How can there be so many resistance members??! I thought they were the minority. And suddenly, there are so many helping Lena out -.- It seems rather unrealistic considering the situation they are in. 

At least one thing that was really good in this book is that there actually WAS a resistance plan - HOORAY. (spoiler!!) I've been wondering throughout Delirium what signs were of resistance were the resistance showing. Get it?? LOL. Also, it would be best to find her mother in the last book - focus on OTHER types of love!

Overall, I think I will still buy the last remaining book - I mean, I've already bought the first two right?? I really hope that the third book would be able to make good use of the concept in the first book :))

-- edited
Anyway, there is an ebook featuring Hana's viewpoint when she went partying while Lena went to look for her that night. I really want to read it!!! :DD Finding some way to do so...

No comments: