Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Over-ridden

I am being over-ridden with troubles. Heaps of it, in fact.

The lesson today started off with Mr Tay announcing that we have to start on our ACE ATT 2. Didn't we just finish ATT 1? I thought that was over and done with, and then out comes a follow-up project, which will no doubt be followed up by another follow-up project called... ATT 3! Hooray.
Furthermore, I am facing the impending doom of common tests. It is not here yet, but I can already feel its overwhelming presence. I keep thinking that I should do something about it, but am too lazy to take any action.w

A few other projects that I am faced with (let me list them out for easy reference):
- ATT 2 (T3W1)
- Project Work (T2W5)
- Romeo and Juliet play (T2W4)
- Chinese project (T2W4)
- CME project (T2W4)
- Financial Lit project (T2W4)

Perhaps that are more that I cannot remember now... D:

*ripping my hair out in worry and rage*

At the same time, I have so many 'social' stuff to attend to. Yep, I am having so many outings despite the ongoing list of tasks I have.
I am going to watch Hunger Games. And read it too.
I am going to eat free ice-creams on Free Cone Day.
I am going for DHS CO concert.

Speaking of which, if anyone reading this is interested, please attend the Chinese Society (CS) concert! This is my CCA, but I am not performing. I will be helping out with the lighting.
Date: 5 May 2012 (Vesak Day - you can't claim to be busy!!)
Time: 7pm
Venue: Dunman High School (Singapore), Performing Arts Centre
Performances include chinese opera, drama and chinese dance :)
Tickets are sold at $10 for one.
**All performances will be spoken in Chinese.
If any non-Dunmanians are interested, please contact me at sueq51@gmail.com :)
No spam please. I WILL BLOCK AND REPORT YOU.

Anyway, I have just read the novel "The Sealed Letter" by Emma Donoghue, the author of "Room", which I also bought. It centers around the scandal of the Codringtons (you can go check it out) and the characters involved in it.
What makes the characters very believable is the fact that they all have some flaws. You can almost see them as being real people. Not all of them are truly noble, or truly evil.
Helen and Fido are friends whose friendship is threatened when Helen's affairs are found out by her husband, Harry, who presses for a divorce. Fido had helped Helen in the affair a few times and is thus, dragged into this unfortunate mess.
The nature of their friendship quickly unravels amidst revelations, confessions between them and of others. How much of it is truth, and how much lies? There is suspense in every page of the novel - the readers are always left guessing.
The language is vastly different from 'Room'. There is a certain eloquence and exotic-like quality with every sentence. Difficult words that are not often used are mentioned in the book too (useful to have a dictionary on hand). There are some Macbeth quotes in there too - finally, something useful from the education last year! The way of writing is much like the olden times as well. Long sentences which you have to re-read several times to grasp the full meaning. It may prove difficult at first, however, as you progress, you will find the sentences easier to read (at around 1/5 of the book).
THE ENDING WAS A REAL TWIST AND SURPRISE AS WELL. Though I suspected it after I found out what literary award it won...(hint hint)
The ending left much to be satisfied. The feelings of the characters after the trial were mostly left unknown, only Fido's were explained. A 3.75/5 for this book perhaps. The long-windedness at the beginning of the book cost it that 0.25, heh.

Gonna end off here now :))

No comments: