Monday, May 28, 2012

Time

Finally packed my UK luggage for tomorrow. I am SOO excited because it is the first time I will be travelling out of Asia! HEEHEE. I can't wait for tomorrow~~ I also bought a new luggage for this trip :)

Just to update, I watched Dark Shadows with Dion quite some time ago, at around 21 May? Dark Shadows was quite good, but not as good as some other movies, say Inception. It was quite a feel-good movie. Eva Green was so pretty, heh. There were actually some pretty scary parts as well! Some comedic elements failed though.

Anyway, moving on to the main topic, I do not have enough time! HELP.
While doing out my homework list today, I realised the tons of homework I have to do! There are FIFTEEN holiday homework to do! I just finished one, just now. Furthermore, after my trip to UK, one week would have  been lost. I'll be left with 2 - 3 weeks to finish all that stuff!!
Holiday =/ rest
Holiday = more work
The reality of Singapore kids. I mean, every subject believes that they are the only ones giving the homework, and gives two or three at one go. But the fact is that, almost EVERY subject gives two or three holiday homework. So, that leaves us, the students, to suffer. 
Teachers always complain about how for every homework we do, they have to mark 100 more copies of that same piece of homework. Well, I would rather mark than write. I mean, for every 1000 words we write, the teachers probably only write about 20 words for comments, sometimes only giving what, three ticks?? The thing about students is that, we not only have to write so much, we have to THINK. We have no answer sheet to refer to. AND THINKING REQUIRES SO MUCH ENERGY. 
When teachers mark, they have a set of answer key to refer to. They already know what to look for, so marking becomes quite systematic. Once they get the momentum, the teachers are actually able to mark quite fast. So, the argument that teachers actually require more effort and time than students to mark is not exactly very valid, considering the point of view of students.
I think that students are often not given enough credit for the effort we spend on studying. Sure, study rewards like monetary benefits, edusave etc works, but I mean, we should have something like a STUDENT'S DAY, WHERE NO HOMEWORK IS GIVEN, MIND YOU. I think that students are really something. We absorb so much information, and churn out so much more. Sometimes, our effort does not necessarily give us the results we want either. Whoever said hard work will get you the result you want should just face reality - it doesn't really happen.
This is why there was a period of time (in year 2 I think) when I SERIOUSLY contemplated the idea of leaving school and working. The idea was so appealing then. I was suffering under a lot of a workload - School is weird. There is always this period of nothing, then this period of everything.
But then reality sank in that that was never going to work out. Working requires a certain standard of smartness, meaning a university cert is like, the MINIMUM requirement already, despite the fact that you can actually quit school after taking the PSLE. 
Studying is everything in Singapore. Smart = good, not smart = work harder. This is not a biased view or anything, I mean, my grades are actually pretty good. So it's not like I am complaining because I have poor grades or anything.
I think that I have been blessed, really. My parents sent me to this childcare when I was young, and there, I got a headstart. My brain for math etc was already developed. I think this was why I did well in school. I also think that it had something to do with my genes perhaps. I probably inherited some of my dad's smartness. All these all play a contributing factor. So, if I didn't have all these, I would probably be suffering much more under the education system.
And let's face it, Singapore's education system is mostly based on rote learning, not motivational, creative etc whatever shit they say. Just look at the number of practice papers I have to do as holiday homework. 
And here I am typing away when I could be doing them uh.

URGHHHH. MAINLY WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS I HATE STUDYING. 
Which is irritating when people ask me, "Your results are so good, why do you hate (this subject)?" Just because I am good at something doesn't mean I like it. I'm good at math, but I hate math.
Anyway, I think that it would be quite rare to find someone who actually likes studying in Singapore. For this, I mean at least secondary 2 students. Because that is the time when you are seriously sick of studying after 8 years of compulsory education. 
Studying is tiring.
But obviously, studying is necessary. It gets us jobs etc. Without studying, all of us would probably be jobless, which eventually leads to being poor and homeless. The society and economy will collapse. In great fashion. It's just that the way studying is being interpreted and implemented in Singapore is hateful, for students. 
I've heard of a school where the teachers bring the students out to a big green field near their school. The students just sit / lie on the grass, enjoy the scenery and listen to the teacher. Either that, or the teacher gives them a hint/headstart, then the students learn, by themselves. I think that is a truly inspirational way of teaching. We discover for ourselves. Singapore obviously does not have such teaching styles. I mean, you cannot even find a big green field near your school anymore. -.- You get the point.
We teach in a rather uncreative, boring manner.
I think that has to change.

And, stop giving us so much homework.

No comments: