Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Problem with Group Work

Tomorrow's when I need to hand in my ACE ATT 2. Remember me mentioning it in my previous post? Yeap, the deadline is tomorrow. AND they do not even spare a thought for us after all the common tests that we have been through. HOW KIND.
Now, I really wish that everyday was a common test day. At least that would have been a valid reason for me to procrastinate on whatever it is that I am supposed to do.

You know, sometimes, I get really tired of just... doing things.
It seems like I am always the one trying to get people to get things done, and it is really frustrating at times. Firstly, I am not some super human. I already have problems trying to keep myself at least feeling moderately happy (mental health matters) with all this shitload that's been going on. I CANNOT LOOK OUT FOR MYSELF AND EVERYBODY ELSE.
Sometimes, I really feel like knocking some people's heads and screaming at their face, telling them to take care of themselves and not rely on me.
At least have some initiative to say, "hey the deadline's approaching, why don't we start on this..."
DON'T WAIT.
JUST START. 
I would be better off. 
The whole group would be better off.

This is the problem with group work, and why I really really prefer individual work at times.

The second one is the worst problem - it is when they really try hard, but I am not impressed.
You know, I am an INTP (you can go check that one out) and the test shows that I HATE STUPID PEOPLE. I am really sorry but that is somehow true with me. I get really irritated when people give me work which are just not up to my standard, and yet, I CANNOT BLAME THEM. 
So, I get frustrated by myself.
And all this ranting on blog appears.
By the way, not everything written here is pertaining to ACE ATT 2 - it is an accumulation of ALL MY FEELINGS ABOUT THE HORRORS OF GROUP WORK.

Moving on, the third problem also recently surfaced. It is when I get into a group with another leader-type.
In such a situation, two scenarios can appear:
1. I am happy and I let that person take over as the leader (rest time for me!)
2. That leader and I have opposing views - AND WW3 HAPPENS.
SEE, THERE IS ALWAYS A PROBLEM. 
This really happened this year and lots of SPARKS FLEW (in a bad way). Everyone should know what happens when there are two alpha males in a pack. Furthermore, there were three in my case - HMMMMM.
Being a leader type, we always want our ideas implemented. I mean, I am slightly more flexible. If I hear an idea that is much more awesome than mine, I would use it instead.
BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST SO STUBBORN, MAINLY LEADER TYPES.

The last and final problem is the most irritating. 
WHEN NATURE GOES AGAINST YOU.
Printers break down and laptops crash.
Then, I will have to solve a problem which is not really caused by anybody, but still irritating nonetheless. The question will always ring in my head, "WHY ME???"
WHY AM I SO UNLUCKY. Or rather, WHY IS MY GROUP MATE SO UNLUCKY? (which effectively implicates me as well)

These are the reasons why I AM SO SICK OF GROUP WORK.
And, there are SO MANY group projects this year! We had seven ongoing projects AT THE SAME TIME during one point of time.

I wonder why didn't I have such problems in 2k? It was probably because we didn't have that many projects, or because my group mates were just simply fantastic. 

I am not really hinting about anything regarding 4k etc.
It is just that my groupings this year aren't exactly ideal. 
Work always gets into the way of relationships - totally relatable. 

Anyway, there is my CS concert rehearsal tomorrow, which is going to end at 9pm (congrats to self). 
I wonder if I will cry at the end of the concert. 
Maybe not though. I don't really have any emotional attachments to that CCA - sad to say.

And Elaine just followed my blog. YAY. 
And I just followed Huiyi's and Elaine's. HAHA - the things we do.

No comments: