Tuesday, June 8, 2010

humans camp

Just came back from Humanities Camp. :)
It was fun, in a way. Went back to where I had my p5 camp. Brings back fond memories.
I saw Rachel Lim tooooo :D :D :D
I travelled to a few places: NMS, Wallace Trail, Labrador Park, VivoCity/Harbourfront.
I was in Group 9. My group rocks :D
During the Open House, the dog and bone game made us seem like mad dogs. Hahaha. We were rushing to grab the duster and banged into each other. Especially the part where everybody rushed in. The duster got lost for a minute and we were puzzled. HAHAHAHAHAH.
My group won the best Geography work, for our directory cube in Vivocity. ^^
My group also won the 'treasure hunt' in NMS since Nic, Yohanes and I were trainee docents there once. Felt a bit guilty since we had the upper hand but happy at the same time. Our prize was some fake archaeology thingy where we try to find the treasure which is embedded in a rock/sand. -.-
There was one night where we had to chiong our forum thingy as well. THANKS TO MR CHIN WHO LENT US HIS MAC! :)

Overall, I think that the camp was fufilling in a sense. Had fun although it was a bit below my expectations. Bathing times were GREAT, as my group always left last but return first. So we got to bathe first. :P Exchanged contacts with my group 9 members as well. Will remember y'all!

GROUP 9

Anyway, I have just read the article, 1. "Singaporeans asked to chew on their manners" as well as 2. "Hypocrites! Aussie paper hits out at S'poreans for being rude".
1. http://www.smh.com.au/world/singaporeans-asked-to-chew-on-their-manners-20100530-wnjm.html
2. http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/what_bugs_me/387762/hypocrites_aussie_paper_hits_out_at_sporeans.html#commentSection
I felt that this was an interesting topic and posted my comment on website 2.

My comment:
Even though I agree with the fact that Ms Tamara Thiessen's report is probably biased and hypocritical, STOMPer Vassili still should not have used the case of "Racists in Austria VS Rude S'poreans". It is the wrong analogy to use.
It may be true that Singaporeans are materialistic, but to flame us as going to churches for networking is exaggerating and insulting to us. Has Ms Tamara Thiessen even considered about those who truly believe in their religion and go to the churches/temples out of good intentions? By posting such a comment, she is hurting millions of people out there. Talk about good manners.
Even so, I do agree that some Singaporeans do need to take note of their manners.  We are indeed sometimes selfish and self-centered. This report would maybe do good to those people out there.
In the end, what I would like to say is that I would gladly appreciate it if news reporters/article writers think twice and fairly before writing such insulting articles. 
I hope that you guys will be interested in this article and take a look. Comment fairly too! :)


~slack

No comments: